Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You know they won't pick up your garbage?

When I moved to Plymouth 11 years ago, that was the question posed to me by a co-worker.

I thought she had lost her mind. I'm a city girl, you can put a body out on trash day and they'll pick it up. Not pick up my garbage. Where was I moving - Somalia? Well, Diane was right. I thought she was just jealous since I was quitting my job to be a stay-at-home Mom, leaving Boston, and moving to the burbs! Yeah not too much life change at once.

I have worked since I was 17. Sometimes 2 or 3 jobs at a time. So not working was going to be great. Oh, the cookies I would bake and the meals I would make and the kids I would nurture and teach. Ha. We bought a "fixer-upper" and we're still doing the fixer part. As I like to say we're 10 11 years into our 5 year plan. See I married an architect, a handy one, but an architect still. Everything needs to "relate" and be "cohesive". My freaking house needs to "flow". Ok Bill stop laughing! You too Rob!

Anyhow, my home renovation stories can send a therapist's kid to Harvard so, moving on.

I didn't know a soul in Plymouth. Not one single person. About a month after we moved, Dylan (who was about 4) started crying and asking when he was going back to school. He missed preschool and his friends. I felt his pain since I missed working. Who knew! So I looked around and found a school for him where he quickly made some new friends. What to do about me?

I decided to volunteer! The selectmen had advertised for a bunch of town committees that needed volunteers and I decided that was for me. OMG, my naivete is so cute, don't you think?

I eventually joined, co-chaired, resigned, and re-joined the Plymouth Cable Advisory Committee, successfully negotiating a multi-year cable contract for the town; joined and chaired the Plymouth Center Task Force and co-authored the master plan for the Downtown/Waterfront Area which led to the formation of the Plymouth Center Steering Committee where I served as vice-chair for several years before resigning. I was active in the Cold Spring PTO and served as it's Vice President for a couple of years.  I helped with numerous events and baked countless cookies. I even got heckled when I tried to call a BINGO game. Seriously, heckled. I didn't know there was more than one kind of BINGO. Well, apparently there are several. Live and learn!

When I went back to work full-time, I had to cut back on my volunteering. Currently, I serve on the Board of Directors of the Jordan Hospital Club and help with fundraising for Emma's competition dance team. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. Not that I get in trouble - anymore. (I feel as if I should add a frowny face here)

I love my adopted home and volunteering helped me learn about Plymouth. I recommend it to everyone that has the time or inclination. I also made some great friends.

They still won't pick up my garbage but that's ok, I have Pattycakes to take it to the transfer station. Oh, trash day is a joy in the Mulvey-Welsh household but that, dear friends, is a story for another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment