Friday, November 26, 2010

The After



I love holidays. All of them. I have a few favorites like 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The holidays with spectacle. I like the build-up (although Christmas seems to get more ridiculous each year). Seems to be the more work I have to do, the better I like the holiday. Hmmm, sounds like an issue.

The holidays of my youth are legendary. Thanksgiving and Christmas especially. They started early, we hosted legions of family, and they seemed to last for days. You never knew who was going to show, but whoever did was welcomed and fed.

As much as I like the planning and the executing. As much as I like the dining and the presents. My favorite part of holidays is The After. When everyone is fed, presents are opened, everything is cleaned, the last guest has gone. There is a peace and serenity that exists. Everyone is home and happy. There are no intrusions. There is only family. Content. The reason you make the extra effort.

I'm happiest then. I have a great sense of accomplishment. I have a great life. I have a husband who adores me (although he'll probably deny that), amazing children, sisters, nieces, nephews, friends, a crazy old mother, in-laws that I don't see enough, and cousins that are scattered to the wind.

Last night, for the first time, the kids noticed The After. As we settled into the living room for a movie, everyone was cozy and content. No one fought over seats, or bickered over the movie, it was just us - coming together as family. After.


3 comments:

  1. Your blog today makes me warm inside just reading it, and I'm not even being sarcastic. Thank God for holidays and "The After"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy! Now why would I think that was sarcasm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to "The After"! The lead up, the traditions that are being made layer by layer of doing the same crazy thing year after year. Cooking for days (any holiday) planning, family, food and the what if's so much fun. But "The After" you are right nothing quite like it.

    ReplyDelete