Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Over and Above








Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition.  ~Jacques Barzun

The other morning I was hanging out, waiting for Emma as she auditioned for a summer dance program. It was going to be a long morning. Registration started at 10 with the audition scheduled to be over at 2. We’ve been to the venue before so I knew there were benches, so with a fully charged kindle and brand new book downloaded, I was good for the duration.

But the day had other plans for me.

We arrived a little early since parking in Boston is challenging even on Sunday morning. One of Emma’s classmates was already there, warming up. A few minutes later more of her classmates arrived. Then one of her dance teachers.

I had met the teacher, briefly, the night before at a school performance so we quickly said our ‘hellos’ and then he got busy with the dancers, making sure they were really stretching and checking that everyone had a good breakfast. I listened as he laughed with the kids and answered questions about the school they were auditioning for, his alma mater. Sitting there, eavesdropping as he interacted with his students, I was reminded, again, of how teachers are vilified.

I watched as this teacher spent half of his Sunday making sure his students were relaxed and prepared for an audition. I watched him dig into the giant bag he carried with him for items that the students either forgot or, for whatever reason, did not have.

In between his ministrations, he sat down and we had several terrific conversations. I learned about his dance background and how he came to teaching – after a career ending accident. I heard the passion in his voice as he talked about “his” kids, especially the seniors that were there auditioning for college, and how much each of them mean to him. I saw on his face the absolute passion for what he does.

To say I was impressed would be a tremendous understatement.

We talked about the challenges of teaching in the inner city and the unique challenges of teaching at a performance arts high school. We talked about our similar backgrounds growing up – same cultural heritage and socioeconomic background.

During our free-ranging conversation, he would get up and peek in the window to see how they were doing. Or he would jump up when they came out for water or a shoe change to see how they felt and to offer encouragement and some gentle correction.

More important than what he was doing, I saw how his students reacted to him. They stood taller when he walked in. I’m pretty sure they weren’t even conscious that they did. I watched as their nerves were calmed as he turned his attention to each of them, individually. He had a smile and positive words for each one. I listened as they teased him and called him by his first name, something they would never do in school. I was impressed by their maturity.

It made me glad that we decided to put Emma in this environment.

I wonder how often scenes like this play out all over America; teachers giving up their free time to help their students succeed.

I’m sure it happens more than we all realize. I know it happens more often than folks are willing to admit. 

Take a minute today and thank a teacher, they earned it and they certainly deserve it.




No comments:

Post a Comment