Friday, January 7, 2011

Barbie's Brain Cells Commit Suicide...

I love to learn. I always have. I didn't like school but that's different than learning. Learning is curiosity. Learning is experimentation. Learning is teaching your brain new tricks. I like new thoughts and new ideas. I like the evolution of thought that proceeds advancement in science and music and art and technology. So much good comes from learning.

My work is dull and routine. I've gone back to administrative work since it's local, pays steady, and I have some flexibility with my schedule. It's not challenging; I don't learn anything new and some days I can actually feel brain cells dying. I'm not entirely sure whether from natural causes or from boredom. Little Barbie brain cells jumping off the ledge into the abyss to escape the mind-numbing monotony that is my brain at work.

The only thing saving my brain from total annihilation is my volunteer work.

At the urging of the lovely Wendy, I joined the board of the Jordan Hospital Club last February. I've done a lot of volunteering prior to joining the board but the JHC is different, it's personal. Almost 2 years ago, the staff at Jordan saved my life, seriously. Saved it. JHC matters. It makes a real difference in people's lives and I'm so proud and thrilled to be able to give back. It is made up of the most amazing group of women - smart, talented, opinionated, caring, compassionate. I could go on but this blog is about me and, well, I'm done talking about other people and their amazingness.

I have learned (yeah) incredible things. Well, I continue to learn incredible things about events, about human nature, and about myself. (That's the best thing to learn about: me!) Maybe one of these days, I'll write a book, or paint a masterpiece, or (more likely) I'll just continue to amuse myself and Patrice (she's my muse or my mascot - not sure which) with my blog posts.

P.S. 24 brain cells were successfully talked in off the ledge during the writing of this blog post!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for this and I'd like to think of myself as a muse not a mascot! although I have been known to be an anti Muse and kill of a few brain cells of my own.

    ReplyDelete